Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Supermom? No. Superbaby? Yes!



[5 Months/3 weeks]


No!!!! I was looking at the date of my last post, and it's been over a month since I wrote anything. Shameful, shameful. I really intend to keep the updates rolling, since this is a critical time where many details will be forever lost in my memory if I don't record them now.


Since my return from paradise, I've experienced other whimsical adventures by my son's side. He is now fully capable of grabbing objects in front of him (as proven last night while my husband dangled my favorite gold heart necklace in front of him). He has also learned how to roll over from his tummy to his back, though he doesn't do this too often. I've heard many stories of babies that skip crawling all together, and go straight to walking/standing. Whereas I don't doubt these stories to be true, I've always considered them the exception rather than the norm. However, Diego seems to be on this track. Each time I put him on his tummy, he tries to practice crawling, but gets frustrated and starts crying. Then I sit him on my lap, facing me, and pull him gently upward by his arms, and then his own legs do the rest naturally. Suddenly, his strong, husky legs catapult him upward (I'm really there just for support), and in an instant he is an amazing standing baby. Each time that he stands, he proudly smiles at the feat that he has achieved as if he somehow knows how amazing it is.


Despite what an amazing superhero he is, he also succumbed to a terrible cough a few weeks back. I was a bit worried that it was the whooping cough, so I took him to the doctor's office. His pediatrician told me that she wasn't concerned, so I was relieved, though I too had been sick. Actually, at this moment I'm feeling like I may be getting sick again. Since I gave birth, I've been sick a total of 3 times. This is a bit worrisome for me since, previously, I could go a year without getting sick. For now, I'm writing it off as the stresses of motherhood and exposure to daycares, but you better believe I'm trying my best to improve my immune system.


For the most part, daily life is going well. I recently had a couple of friends come over to visit Diego. My friend commented about how happy I appeared to be. She wanted to know what the "bad" stuff in my life was. I honestly had a hard time thinking of something. I specified that as for the motherhood part, the hardest thing is that I don't get a break (OK - the Bahamas doesn't count). But seriously, I don't know how I can stress that sentence: "I don't get a BREAK!" It's on-going, and I doubt it will end until well after 18 years from now. The repetition can drive you crazy: bottles about every 3 hours, boiling water, washing bottles, waking up in the middle of the night whether you like it or not, changing diapers, giving baths, doing laundry to keep those cute clothes from staying permanently soiled, dropping off to daycare, picking up from grandma's, getting his diaperbag ready every morning, the incessant crying, trying to figure out the root cause of the incessant crying, implementing the corrective action to subdue the incessant crying. It's times like these that can cause person who loves schedules and lists, much like myself, to go bananas!

Speaking of bananas... Diego is also eating now. The doctor recommended we wait until 6 months, but after one of those episodes where I was "trying to figure out the root cause of the incessant crying", we determined the answer was hunger. And what a hungry little boy he is. Oh- and he really likes bananas. Asparagus and zuccini: not so much.






0 comments: