Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seven Months Sick


I had an unexpected week off at work, although I still worked. And it was definitely harder work. Diego has progressively become sick. It all culminated into a bad cough, cold, and wheezing over this last weekend. His wheezing scared me because I thought it could be developing asthma, so early Monday morning I tried to make an appointment with his pediatrician and I let my boss know that I was going to work from home that day. Do you want the long story or short story? The short story? OK.
After a couple of Dr. visits the doctor was stumped. This made me feel helpless. I thought as soon as I brought him in, they'd be able to prescribe something for him to at least minimize the wheezing, but an inhaler, nebulizer, and oral medication later, and there wasn't much marked improvement since the first visit.
The doctor said we'd need to let it heal naturally. How can someone watch their baby suffer and do nothing? That's what the doctor was basically telling me. He allowed me to continue the nebulizer. It's Thursday now, and his wheezing is finally under control, though still there. The medication has him hyper, and he's been more of a handful than he usually is. I joked with his babysitter that she got a short vacation from Diego, and that after seeing how difficult Diego was this week, my husband has given her much more credit for doing her job.
Yes, he's been difficult, but he deserved all the attention in the world while sick, and I can now breathe a sigh of relief that he's doing better. Tomorrow is his follow up appointment, and another day of working from home for me :)

0 comments: