Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How Could You do this to Me?



My biggest sales pitch ever was convincing my dad to buy me a dog when I was 10 years old. It took what seemed like a year to a kid and many confirmations that "the dog would not end up on the floor or under the bed like my other toys." One day, as if by magic my dad was reading the local paper and found an ad for Pomeranian puppies for sale - and he actually suggested that we go check it out! That was the day I brought home Bingo, my best friend until I turned 28 years old!

During that time I was working hard on my second biggest sales pitch - getting another dog. Unfortunately, that endeavor seemed to be cursed from the start. I have never been able to realize that dream since its inception. I think I am bound to stay a single dog owner for the rest of my life.

Even now that I'm an adult with my own house, I own Cujo Qori, who does not always get along well with other dogs. Knowing this, for some reason my husband brought home a black lab named Midnight over the weekend who was looking for a home (her owner has cancer and they needed to move to an apartment and in this city, pet friendly housing is very difficult to find for a dog her size).




I knew in my subconscious that we could not own another dog, so I immediately thought, "How could you do this to me? You know I'll fall in love with her right away!"

And we bonded immediately. It's amazing how some dogs are instantly so affectionate to a total stranger. I was also communicating with her so quickly, and for the most part, she understood my commands. I felt bad for her situation, and when she would whine I thought she might be saying to her family, "How could you do this to me? How could you just leave me here?"

My husband soon realized the flaw in his actions, and we decided to send Midnight home a little bit early. But not before Midnight opened her can of whoop-ass and went "Cujo" on Qori. Qori defended himself, but ended up backing down to her royal highness.

As always, I did what I was not supposed to do and tried to stop the dog-fight. I won't say I was bitten, but I'll say that my hand crashed into one of the canine's canines. I don't know whose, but all I could think was, "How could you do that to me?!"


[Excuse my veiny hands, they get that way in heat or when I'm agitated as in this case!]

PS. She really is a wonderful dog, so if you're interested let me know!

0 comments: