Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Don't wait till the river runs dry

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App You probably saw it coming a mile away like a train crash.  I, on the other hand was so delusional, thinking I could actually continue to keep things up.  It's now with mixed emotions that I'll report to you that it's been a few weeks since I gave up pumping.

You know I've been experiencing my share of struggles, and it got to the point where it just wasn't worth it anymore.  I'd pump all day and MAYBE collect 3 ozs.  That's a light snack for Mateo - no that's not even a snack it's more like a condiment.  Would you like some ketchup with that hot dog?  Dressing with that salad?  Milk with that formula?  Condiments.  I was producing condiments.

I made it 8 1/2 months pumping/nursing and basically just petered out.  And when I decided to stop, I only pumped one more time after a full day of not pumping and barely got an ounce.  That's when I went cold turkey.  There was no pain, swelling, or leaking after that.  I had listened to my body.  It was time, and my brain was finally ready to accept that fact.  I feel good knowing that I gave it all my body could take, and I feel good that I listened to my body once it was time to stop.  But mostly, I feel a sense of relief that I don't need to pump anymore.  I still have the calendared pump time at work and feel like I suddenly have extra time when the calendar reminders pop up.

All in all - it was a good run.  And Mateo?  He's too busy exposing his taste buds to new foods to even notice.  He's a vacuum with his 6 teeth now!  I think he's getting ready for Thanksgiving.  This solids-eating baby has goals, and milk is no longer one of them!  Mateo - Would you like some formula with that food?  Yes...... yes he would.

Dumped the Pump - Shirley

0 comments: