Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Refreshing


My family is not a touchy-feely type of sentimental family, how ever much my mother would LOVE that! No, we all get along by cracking jokes and keeping things light-hearted, yet to the point. The most touchy-feely I get with my parents is with a half-hug and a kiss on the cheek each time we greet. I don't see anything wrong with this. I know my family loves each other and enjoys each others' company.

Since before Diego was born, I wondered how my father would get along with him. The first few months were exactly as I envisioned. My dad would hold him for short bouts of time, and then hand him off to my mother to do the rest of the canoodling and spoiling. The thought that my father will be retiring next year in May has always been in the back of my mind. Would he be willing and able to do the baby sitting? Would I be intruding only his newly-earned liberation?

I decided to leave the topic alone until he got to know Diego better and until Diego reached an age where his personality and mannerisms were more defined than a simple newborn.

Now that I've fired my last baby sitter, Diego is being watched by my mom and dad while they are on their 2 week vacation and until I find a new sitter. The first week went really well. I found myself pulling up to the parking lot of my workplace, getting out of my car and humming tunes outloud. I didn't realize how much of an affect the last baby sitter had on me. I liked this new light-hearted me. It was refreshing.

After that first week, came our planned Family Fun Weekend Trip that we enjoy with our extended family. We went to Clear Lake with 12 people, 1 baby, and 7 dogs and had a grand time. Diego was in such good spirits. Of course, like any baby there were points where he would get restless. I would silently observe in the background that my dad would willingly hold Diego for extended periods of time. Even times when I know that I would have put him down, my dad didn't. I mentioned this to Javier last night. I said that I found it "Surprising?" no, that wasn't the word. .... "Refreshing". Yes! It was "refreshing".

And as I dropped off Diego at his grandparents this morning, my mother quickly grabbed him from me and said in Spanish that my dad was already "Reclamando", aka. "asking for" Diego. She said that he told her that Diego already won his heart.

How refreshing....











0 comments: