Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pink Poop!

I commend you for reading the title of this post and still deciding to click on it and read it!
 

******************************************************************************
You know you're a mom when you're taking pictures of your children's poop!

I nearly had a heart attack this morning as I changed Diego's diaper and found a pinkish/reddish poop waving hello back at me.   It could possibly have been blood, but it also seemed to have a weird bright halo of pink to it.  It almost seemed like it was glowing an aura of pink.  I'm serious - it was GLOWING.  I couldn't explain the color, so I took a picture of it just in case (and I am sparing this blog by not posting the picture).  Long ago I read somewhere that you'd be amazed to see how conversations about poop become so normal after you have children. So then was I so crazy for taking it a step further and preserving the moment in a photo?

Immediately, my mind wandered back to Sunday afternoon when I had a less-than-proud mommy moment where I let Diego have an olive knowing full well that it still had the pit inside.  I really didn't think he would actually swallow the pit, but he did and it was too late for me to do anything about it.  Was this diaper present the repercussion to my lazy Sunday afternoon antics? 

Feeling down about my Sunday mommy failure, it was time to bring the kids to grandpa's, suck it up and admit my flaw to grandpa so he could monitor the situation while I waited to for the advice nurse line to open.  I showed Grandpa the picture and he didn't have his glasses on, so it was hard for him to make out the color.

"I gave him cranberries in his oatmeal yesterday.  It could have been those." he said possibly trying to console me.  "But he didn't have THAT many."

Grandpa squinted his eyes while staring at my Iphone, retracing Diego's diet of the day before, then the light bulb went off.

"I know what it is.  Come here," he said and led me to his locked office.  "He had a bunch of these yesterday.  So much that I had to hide them and lock them in the office."

I let out a great sigh, "Pink wafers...."

Photobucket

As of right now, Diego's diet is explicitly free of pink and red foods for a few days, just to be absolutely sure.  I guess I need to re-think tonight's spaghetti marinara dinner!

So what is this mothering thing all about?  It's about doing things you never imagined yourself doing for the love of a little human (like snapping pics of poop).  It's about realizing that as a Mom you can't really have one moment where you let your guard down (like handing out olives with pits).  And most importantly, it's about keeping pink wafers far, far away from your little one's digestive system!

Have you ever snapped a pic of poop?  Or am I the only nut job around here? - Shirley

3 comments:

hilljean said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sometimes I text diaper pics to my husband at work. Just so he knows what he's missing out on heheh. THe pink poop would freak me out! My daughter had something like that the other day but I thought it was blood. It turned out to be too much gatorade. Why do they have to put so much lame dye in everything?

SimplyShirley08 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@hilljean Thanks for warning me about Gatorade! We sometimes have it in the house but my son hasn't taken a liking to it just yet. :) I'm with you... I can't understand the need for so much dye!

Jessica W said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Bahaha I had the same thing happen with Ethan with undigested cherries.