Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Trembling to say I LOVE YOU


This past weekend was FINALLY my sister's wedding! It seems odd now to know that I'll have some weekends free again. No more bachelorette parties, bridal showers, program-making sessions, dress shopping and fittings, tailoring, food tasting, cake testing, etc. I'm so glad I only have ONE sister.

Even more so because I feel like I messed up my toast. I don't really know what happened. My delivery was pretty good vocally if you just closed your eyes. But my hands were shaking (not even just trembling) like crazy while I spoke. I had no control whatsoever. I really feel that I should have memorized the speech so I didn't need to hold the paper, but there just wasn't enough time for me to do that.

The good news is that against all my concerns, Diego walked down the aisle like a perfect little angel. He was led by Lucy (his fiance). At first he had a confused face as he began walking down the aisle. Then as they got closer to the guests and Diego started focusing on individual faces, he started SMILING! It was hit or miss: he would either smile or freak out and ruin the wedding. My boy did good! Who would've known that all this time, I should've been more concerned over my OWN DAMN SELF!


My sister thinks of and executes everything to a T. After the ceremony, she gave each one of the bridesmaids a unique and special gift with a thoughtful letter printed on beautiful card stock. My letter was very sentimental and real (something that we NEVER show outright to each other). In the letter, she attributed that behavior to our father, but she still typed heavy words in the letter, "I LOVE YOU".

As all the bridesmaids began thanking my sister and giving her a hug, I knew I had a decision to make in the next few seconds. Do I say, "I love you too" back to my sister out loud or do I just thank her for the beautiful Coach necklace? I was torn between what I knew I SHOULD do vs. my genetic makeup. But as the seconds ticked on, I gave my sister a big hug and said, "Thank you. I love you too. And I'm like Daddy too." Then she said, "Maybe one day we'll get better at this."
And I responded, "Maybe not!" and we both just laughed.




Since I was a part of the wedding ceremony, I couldn't snap too many "good" pictures so those will probably be available in a few weeks. But just trust me that the wedding was perfection. We danced the night away until the dance floor was empty. Diego was a dance machine!








0 comments: