Sunday, October 30, 2011

Award-winning Maternity Costume!


Hi all!  The countdown is now less than a day until Halloween!   I thought I'd give you a sneak peek of my award-wining "Pregnant Skeleton Family" costume that was inspired by Pinterest once again!  I know I tend to exaggerate sometimes, but really!  It won an award, look below!

Very fitting award, right?  It actually won for "Most Creative" even though I entered us in the "Best Group" category.  That's how creative this costume was!  Wanna know how I did it?  Let's get started:

What You'll Need:
Mom Skeleton
  • You'll need to have a baby belly ;)
  • Black long sleeved top (Marshalls $7)
  • Black leggings or Yoga pants (Marshalls $7)
  • Freezer paper (Lucky's $7)
  • White Fabric Paint (JoAnne Fabrics $3)
  • Paint brush (JoAnne Fabrics $1)
  • Exacto knife or blade (for the freezer paper)
  • An iron
  • Cardboard (to put inside the shirt and pants so that the paint doesn't seep)
  • Bow or Fabric (for the baby's bow or tie depending on if it's a girl or boy)
Kid Skeleton
  • Kid skeleton costume (you can also make one but I ran out of time; Party City $15)
  • Candy or Food Applique
  • Needle & Thread
Other Ideas that I ran out of time to do:
Diego helps me free-hand draw!
1. Free-hand draw the skeleton parts on the freezer paper
 
2.  Use an exacto knife or blade and carefully cut out the stencils
 
Don't forget the free-floating piece in the middle of the arm bone!
3.  Lay the stencils (shiny side down) on the clothing.  Remember the free-floating piece on the arm.
4.  Iron the stencils onto the clothing without steam.

5.  Insert cardboard inside the clothing

6.  Brush on the white paint.  (2-3 coats may be required)

7.  Let dry overnight.

8.  Peel off the freezer paper and admire your work.
You can see where I messed up above Baby's head.  I could fix it, if I had the energy :)
9.  Attach a bow or tie onto the baby skeleton depending on whether it's a boy or a girl.

Kid Skeleton:

1.  If the purchased skeleton costume doesn't have enough "tummy" space, you may need to "make space".  In my case with my hard-earned medical license,  I "surgically" removed 2 spinal disks above the pelvic area :) to make room.

I looked for a cute applique of food to put in Diego's tummy.  I was thinking either a huge lollipop or cupcakes.  Unfortunately a lot of the cute appliques that I found were more girly in nature, until I found these appliques at Michael's.

 

2.   Attach the appliques to the tummy area.  (I hand-sewed and didn't iron-on because the bones were made of some foamy material that I was afraid would not be able to handle the iron heat)

That's it!  Pics of the costumes "in action" coming soon!



Happy Halloween! -Shirley





4 comments:

Penelope said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That came out amazing!!! Love it! Now I want to try that technique on some little tees. Did it tale long?

Jessica W said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it Shirley! Plus it looks comfy. No silly headpieces or tails to worry about either. Nice touch with the tie and cupcakes.

SimplyShirley08 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Penelope I think it only took long because I was sick and the baby was a little hard to draw and cut out. Little tees should be easy depending on how intricate you want to go with the design. I'm thinking about making some too. That freezer paper stuff is awesome!

Sara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ha! How creative. I can't wait to see the in-action shots. :)

-Sara-