Friday, October 14, 2011

Camping in Our Own House



Let's analyze the remodel as if it were a developing fetus for a moment, shall we?  After all, I am pregnant.  The baby's house's musculoskeletal development has made good progress to date and has pretty much halted this week as its internal organ development take center stage instead.  And by "internal organs" I mean electrical work and plumbing work this week, so there have been a lot of wires and exposed piping witnessed this week.  Basically it's all the "dude" stuff.  I can't wait until I can start reporting on more "girly" stuff like kitchen cabinets and hardwood flooring.

As I mentioned in my previous update, we got the "OK" from inspectors to complete our roofing and install our skylights just as the rain drops started to touch down unfortunately.  Luckily, everything managed to stay dry and on the very next sunny day, I --the pregnant lady-- climbed a ladder (that very tall one in the picture) to our roof and snapped a shot of the beautiful new roof and 3 out of the 5 new skylights.  Pretty, no?

As for daily life, I am no longer depending on my mother for dinners.  Instead, Hubby usually has something very basic prepared by the time I get home with Diego.  Usually something like fried steak or chicken, rice and potatoes.  We are cooking on our gas range and still using a spigot for water.  There are no counters, just a fold away table.  I know it sounds really uncomfortable and hard to deal with, but actually I find it a little bit soothing (ask me again in a month though).  The house has always had a rustic feeling to it, and as we prepare our dinners or sandwiches and eat off of paper plates in dimly-lit settings lit by lanterns, I can't help but feel as if I'm camping -- and I LOVE camping!  Am I reaching to stay positive here?

And that friends is construction living at its finest! -Shirley 

1 comments:

Jessica W said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your so funny. At least you are rolling with the punches well. I can't believe you climbed a ladder. Crazy girl!