Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bedtime Declaration

Untitled


Over a year ago, I was picking up Diego from daycare and in our normal mom/sitter discourse, (i.e., me asking how things went) the sitter said, "Fine, but he didn't want to go to sleep today; he kicked the crib".

And THAT, my friends, is the best picture I can paint for you when it came to Diego and cribs.  The little dude, just never liked them and that's why he's a co-sleeper today.  Mateo on the otherhand, sleeps well in his crib, but he always wakes from his naps screaming to the top of his lungs.  I subconsciously assumed he was indifferent to the crib.

Until last night.

It was 9:15pm and Mateo started with his 'tude, the classic indicator for bedtime.  He scampered away into the nursery in a fuss and crying.  Instead of following him, I made a quick detour to the kitchen to warm up his bottle first, I knew that my detour activities would only piss him off more.  As I walked into the room, I expected to find him sitting on the floor, amongst his toys, with a sourpuss and red face, his eyes half closed, and tears streaming giving off a "My-mommy-doesn't-love-me-and-I'm-alone-in-this-world" vibe (refer to picture above).

Instead I found him standing at his crib pulling the covers through the railing in his attempts to figure out how to get into the crib.  He actually WANTED to get in?  He didn't look tired to me.  I hadn't noticed him yawn, but apparently, he was declaring his bedtime.  I always thought if I kept him up late, he would just hang out until he would ultimately crash somewhere (preferably on the area rug) and just fall sleep out of pure exhaustion.  I don't know why, but I never expected any of my children to WANT to sleep in their crib.

 These kids surprise me every day! - Shirley


1 comments:

Sara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Whoa! I can't even imagine! :) Just goes to show how each kid is unique.