Monday, May 2, 2011

Decisions, Decisions


I'm a Libra - I can't make decisions.  As such, I've been struggling to decide when to tell my immediate family about the new pregnancy.  I waited 10 weeks to tell them about my first pregnancy, because I wanted to have a picture from the ultrasound for them and I made an elaborate video.  With the second pregnancy, I took a "what could go wrong?" approach and told them within the same week that I found out.  We all know what happened - BAM!

So now, I'm stuck in this mental limbo of decision-making. Given my last experience, I think I'll take some time and feel it out some more before I go blabbing around town.  Especially since I continue to spot.  I thought I was finishing up yesterday, to today's dismay :(

But it's so hard not to tell people!  I mean, I'm so close to my sister that it's hard to keep this kind of news from her.  She was actually the first person I've told each time (other than my husband of course).  And then there's my mother, who was dying (not literally) and impatiently waiting to become a grandma last time around...

Just yesterday, my mom offered me a little bit of chicken fried rice that she made, and I accepted.  She served me the dish and came prepared with a bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce in her hand.  She said, "I know that you ALWAYS add more soy sauce" - and it's true I do.  I don't even bother to taste the food first.  I can tell there's not enough flavor just by how brown it is.  This bothers my mom because it's "unhealthy" to put too much extra soy sauce on your food.    So just to get under her skin a bit, with a little smirk I poured a little more than I normally would - what else is a daughter supposed to do when her mother is looming over her shoulder observing her Kikkoman intake?  Of course I had to prod her!

And she reacted the way I expected.  She huffed and started talking about how bad it is to do that.  She told me that I need to start eating more healthy and taking care of myself.  Then she said in Spanish, "Te esta creciendo la pansa!" - my stomach is starting to grow.  Oh Mother, if you only read my blog.... [OK, and I'm probably guilty of one too many McDonald's runs too]




And then last week, before I knew for sure that I was pregnant, I received an email from my cousin in Peru.  We're pen pals (or is it called e-pals these days?  Or maybe keyboard pals?).    Anyway, she wrote a semi-short message to me.  If my Spanish speaking skills are not very good, then my reading and writing skills are worse (but she continues to write to me for some reason!)  I felt like Beavis and Butthead while reading her email, "Words, words, words, words, I'm pregnant again, words, words, words."

She's pregnant again?!!!!!!  And she beat me AGAIN!  I can't believe this chick!  This is the cousin with whom I made a pact years ago to get pregnant together.  She got preggers right away the first time, and I was TTC for 3 years.  Then, when I finally got preggers the first time, I was so excited to tell my family, but guess what - "Maura is pregnant too!  And she's due before YOU!"

And now we come to present-day, a week before I find out if I'm pregnant and like clockwork I get this email in my inbox.  OF COURSE you're pregnant Maura!  How could you not be?  I jest, because I love my cousin and am happy for her 3rd child on the way (may it be the boy she's been wanting).

But like I said, it's so hard not to tell my family...

2 comments:

Jessica W said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can totally understand. I'm a huge blabbermouth especially about things that are so awesome like a new baby. However I waited till 10 weeks with the 2nd cause I just couldn't face the idea of telling everyone about a miscarriage.

SimplyShirley08 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Jessica - I know that's what I should do, but I'm thinking it would be fun to tell them this mother's day. But it's too close.... decisions, decisions.